Mormons call themselves Christians, Latter Day Saints, but they are not Christians. Their teachings about God the Father and Jesus Christ are not the same as the teachings of the Bible. That’s because Mormons depend on the teachings of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young instead of the teachings of Moses, Jesus, Peter and Paul. Here are more false claims about God the Father by Mormon scriptures.
- “God used to be a man on another planet.” (Mormon Doctrine, p. 321; Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol. 7, p. 333)
- “God resides near a star called Kolob.” (Mormon Doctrine, p. 428; Pearl of Great Price, p. 34-35)
The Christian defense is that there is no mention in the Bible of God living near a star called Kolob and having been a man on another planet. There are scores of evidentiary Words in the Bible; here are some of them.
- “Therefore know this day, and consider it in your heart, that the LORD Himself is God in heaven above and on the earth beneath; there is no other.” Deuteronomy 4:39
- “But will God indeed dwell on the earth? Behold, heaven and the heaven of heavens cannot contain You.” 1 Kings 8:27
- “But our God is in heaven; He does whatever He pleases.” Psalm 115:3
- “But I say to you, do not swear at all: neither by heaven, for it is God’s throne.” Matthew 5:34
Mormons are confused about the issue of “gods.” That’s because of the teachings of Joseph Smith, Brigham Young and other Mormon leaders.
- “There are many gods.” (Mormon Doctrine, p. 163)
- “And they (the Gods) said: Let there be light: and there was light.” (Book of Abraham 4:3)
- “God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens!!! … We have imagined that God was God from all eternity. I will refute that idea and take away the veil, so that you may see.” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 345)
The only “veil” is the one the teachings of Joseph Smith throws over fellow Mormons. They believe that people can become gods through their efforts and good works, but that’s not what the Bible teaches. Here is the Christian defense.
- “For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as there are many gods and many lords), yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live.” 1 Corinthians 8:5-6
- “Before the mountains were brought forth, Or ever You had formed the earth and the world, Even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God.” Psalm 90:2
- “Your throne is established from of old; You are from everlasting.” Psalm 93:2
- “For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse.” Romans 1:20
- “Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, to God who alone is wise, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.” 1 Timothy 1:7
Mormons believe that God the Father had sex with His goddess wife and she became the mother of all spiritual children in our universe.
“Implicit in the Christian verity that all men are the spirit children of an Eternal Father is the usually unspoken truth that they are also the offspring of an Eternal Mother. An exalted and glorified Man of Holiness (Moses 6:57) could not be a Father unless a Woman of like glory, perfection, and holiness was associated with him as a Mother” (Mormon Doctrine, 1977 ed., p. 516)
The Christian defense is that God created man and woman in Their (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) image. He made the man from the dust of the earth and the woman from the side of the man. There is nothing in the Bible that would lead anyone to even suspect that God the Father had a wife in Heaven and that they had spiritual children through sexual relations.
- “Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” Genesis 1:26
- “And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.” Genesis 2:7
- “And the LORD God said, ‘It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him’ … And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam, and he slept; and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh in its place. Then the rib which the LORD God had taken from man He made into a woman, and He brought her to the man. And Adam said: ‘This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; She shall be called Woman, Because she was taken out of Man.” Genesis 2:8, 21-23
The teachings of Mormonism fail miserably in the Light of the Bible. That means Joseph Smith being a true prophet of God also fails miserably. Use God’s Word as your primary evidence against the teachings of Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, and all other leaders of Mormonism.
Our prayer is that God will give you the opportunity to share His Truth with your Mormon friends and family members and that they will be saved for eternity.
In the next part of our study, we’ll look at defending the Virgin Birth to Jehovah’s Witnesses.
In Christ’s Love and Grace,
Building Confidence Through Evidence
“Scripture taken from the New King James Version. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.”